PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Summer?

We have been on summer break for a little over a week, but I feel like I haven't been able to relax yet.  My new classroom for next year was a little (how do I say this nicely?) disgusting packed full of junk tons of furniture and thirty years of teaching materials.  I started working in there on our first day of summer, along with the help of a fabulous friend and some wonderful family members.  I am trying to get as much done now as I can, because we are not sure if we will be able to get into the building in July, and our building is the last on the schedule to be cleaned this summer - and it will happen in August.  I don't want to be scrambling to get everything finished last minute.  Many full trash cans and recycling bins later (not to mention the fact that the hallway outside my door is filled with the unwanted furniture and decent teaching materials that I am not going to use), I think we have gotten most of the unwanted stuff out.  We have also been cleaning all of the math manipulatives, magnetic letters, and all of the plastic storage containers.  This week we begin our first 2-week session of summer school, so I will be doing that until noon every day and then tackling the organization and storage of all the things I am keeping in the room.  Whew!

Anyway, I have found some fun beginning of the year ideas on Pinterest, and I thought I would share.  :)

Check out these adorable apples from Kindergarten Cupcake Crumbs:




Love this picture timeline idea from Science Notebooking:

 
I am loving this explanation of how she set up her math workstations - I have been thinking a lot about how I want to set them up for my K kiddos, and reading this last night really helped me to get a clearer picture of what I want to do.  This is from First Grade Garden:



I also love this post on classroom organization from First Grade Garden - love her labels!



ANOTHER thing I love from First Grade Garden (she has lots of awesome ideas - make sure you check out her blog!):



I also have to say that I love Kathleen from Growing Kinders.  I have bought a couple of her products from TPT for next year, and I can't wait to use them!




You can check out my Pinterest boards here.

What is your favorite beginning of the year find?


10 comments:

Kelley Dolling said...

That timeline is killer cool. Thank you so much for posting this. Glad I found you...

Kelley Dolling
Teacher Idea Factory

Katie said...

I love the organization for math work stations. I need to figure out a plan for next year. Math centers was definitely one of my weakest parts of the day :/

Katie
Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

Tricia said...

I can't imagine the mess that was left for you to clean up. Once you get everything cleaned up and organized you will be able to start planning and preparing for next year. Your kiddos will be lucky to have you.

Tricia

Rikki said...

I too love the organization for math tubs. I added you to my sidebar. Love your blog.
hive2nd.blogspot.com

Tricia said...

I hope everything is going well and that you are finding to rest and relax. I know how hard it is to stop thinking about preparing for next year.

I have award you The One Lovely Blog award. Stop by my blog to pick up your award.

Tricia
Queen with Class

Mrs. Kenyon said...

I'm gathering all sorts of materials for next year. I cannot narrow it down to one or two things that are my favorite.
I just found your blog and I am addicted!
Amy
Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

Mrs. Kenyon said...

I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Stop by my blog to receive it.
Amy
Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

Unknown said...

Nice post Thanks For Sharing :).......... ...........

Amina said...

letter D activities

I love your blog, thank you for sharing!

Eva Wilson said...

Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a nice blog.

Regards,
Online Dissertation Help

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog